Strength vs. Stability for Golfers

Posted by & filed under .

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I spend a lot of time on social media. I try to defend it as working on building Evolution’s presence. But sometimes I am just wasting time.

These days golf is what I like to do so I follow a lot of different accounts regarding golf training, in both fitness and instruction.

One thing that kind of drives me crazy is how some people are trying to be revolutionary with certain exercises they are choosing for golfers. The other day I saw a really long post description (I never read the descriptions, no time for that) about a shoulder stability exercise.

It got me thinking that golf training has moved too far away from the basics and most beneficial exercises. We obviously want golfers to develop strength, stability, and mobility in the proper joints. But golfers have to remember to actually train.

It is easy to get caught up in advanced sequences for joint mobility and stability. I will admit that some of that stuff is really interesting and helpful. At the same time we need to realize that the majority of our exercises should be the heavy hitters.

For healthy golfers, 80% of your resistance training should consist of knee dominant, hip dominant, push, pull, and carry exercises. The other 20% of your training should be the accessory work. There are exceptions to this rule but not as many as some people want to claim.

pb-bodysaw

Strength vs. Stability 

Strength and stability are two terms that can be used interchangeably in the right situation but we can also break them down.

Strength is the ability of a muscle group to produce force.

Stability is the ability of a joint/muscle group to resist motion and/or maintain joint function and alignment.

This is a subtle but important difference.

Golfers must be strong to hit the ball far and play good golf. You can’t be out there hitting long irons and woods into every green and expect good things to happen.

Strength also has the ability to provide stability and unlock immobile joints.

Starting at the foot, the joints of the body come up alternating between mobile and stable joints. If the knee lacks the stability it needs then the hips and ankle are going to compensate by stabilizing. If those two mobile joints lock up to compensate for the knee then we have mobility issues.

Strength provides stability. That is why some mobility restrictions get cleared up with becoming stronger. One hockey player in the gym now has improved her squat depth in 2 weeks just by squatting. She is getting stronger in the pattern and more mobile as a result.

But don’t forget about stability

I don’t hate stability work, it is necessary for the core and shoulders especially.

Core stability is obviously essential for reducing low back pain and building control. Shoulder stability is great for keeping the shoulders healthy and getting into good positions in the swing.

I really like Band Y’s and Yoga Pushups are a strength exercise that can reinforce that stability.

 

If I only had two core exercises for golfers to master it would be a HK Pallof press and a Wall Press deadbug. Both provide tremendous benefit.

This stability work may only account for 3 exercises in a session, though. After stability is developed, strength is going to help produce the force needed for a powerful swing. Training cannot be all one way or the other. That needs to be the appropriate blend to maximize your time and energy.

If you are looking for more guidance on strength, stability and mobility training for golf then you need to get your copy of Distance Made Simple for Golf. It is a 12 week program (valued at $750) for only $99.

Click here to get Distance Made Simple for Golf